Thursday 27 October 2011

Welcome to Blue Butterfly Blogs

Please bear with us as we build the blog and the main website. It has been a while since I have done this. :)

Hi! My name is Michelle and I am the owner and artist at Blue Butterfly Designs.

Originally from Ohio, I now live in Victoria BC with my wife and cat. I make handmade jewelry and accessories in my home as part of my therapy for Bipolar 1 Disorder, and I sell what I make here.

My shop is called Blue Butterfly Designs. I came up with that name for several reasons, the number one reason being that the butterfly is a symbol of hope, strength, and change, which are three very important concepts when dealing with mental illness. I felt that "blue" flowed very well with "butterfly" and so Blue Butterfly Designs was born.

The shop started out on NoobTrader, but no one seemed to be able to find it or trust it because no one had ever heard of NoobTrader, so I decided to move on to Etsy since it is far more trusted and widely used. After taking a class at Business Victoria aimed at helping people with disabilities start their own business, I moved the shop here in the hopes of having more control over it.

My jewelry is made of anything from recycled buttons and ribbons to glass gems and polymer clay. I will work with anything I get my hands on, and sometimes it comes out beautifully and gets posted here, other times it comes out not-so-beautifully and I learn a new technique or concept to apply to future designs.

I find inspiration in the people, places, and things around me. I feel that there is truly a little bit of myself in every piece, and each one is unique (Even if I make more than one similar, they never come out the same way!)

Later on I plan to add more to the shop, particularly things like purses and wallets. I also plan to sell some paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment